The Gianicolo is a Roman hill on the right side of the Tevere River, whose maximum height is 88 meters; it is not part of the traditional group of seven hills. Its eastern part descends, and there the historic district of Trastevere is located. The western part, less steep, is the oldest part of the modern Monteverde district.
The Janiculum was a center for the cult of the god Janus, and the fact that it overlooked the city made it a good place for augurs to observe the auspices. In Roman mythology, Janiculum is the name of an ancient town founded by the god Janus (the two-faced god of beginnings).
The Gianicolo is the site of a battle in 1849 between the forces of Garibaldi, defending the revolutionary Roman Republic against French forces, who were fighting to restore the temporal power of the Pope over Rome. Because of this battle, several monuments to Garibaldi and to the fallen in the wars of Italian independence are on the Gianicolo as well. Daily at noon, a cannon fires once from the Gianicolo in the direction of the Tiber to signal the exact time. This tradition goes back to December 1847 when the cannon of the Castel Sant’Angelo gave the sign to the surrounding bell towers to start ringing at midday. In 1904 the ritual was transferred to the Gianicolo and continued until 1939. On 21 April 1959, popular appeal convinced the Commune of Rome to resume the tradition after a twenty-year interruption.
The room has a queen size bed, a private bathroom with a shower, air conditioning, LED TV, phon and free Wi-Fi.